Altadena Now is published daily and will host archives of Timothy Rutt's Altadena blog and his later Altadena Point sites.
Altadena Now encourages solicitation of events information, news items, announcements, photographs and videos.
Please email to: Editor@Altadena-Now.com
- James Macpherson, Editor
- Candice Merrill, Events
- Megan Hole, Lifestyles
- David Alvarado, Advertising
Thursday, January 15, 2026
Court Deadline Friday Forces Edison to Name Additional Defendants, Or Proceed Alone in Eaton Fire Case

[Eddie Rivera / Pasadena Now]
One year after the Eaton Fire, tomorrow’s court deadline marks a turning point in the fight for accountability
Friday, January 16, is the last day Southern California Edison can name additional defendants in the sprawling litigation over the Eaton Fire—a deadline that forces the utility to finalize a legal strategy that will likely shape how thousands of survivors are compensated for one of California’s deadliest wildfires.
Eaton Fire survivors face a consequential choice. Edison’s compensation program offers expedited payments—reportedly, 82 claims paid so far out of more than 1,800 submitted—but accepting means forfeiting their right to sue.
The January 16 deadline, set by Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Laura Seigle, will likely prevent Edison from lengthening the time frame for the case by adding cross-defendants later.
The utility has been pursuing what plaintiffs’ attorneys call a “spread theory”—an effort to identify other entities that may share responsibility for the disaster.
“If history is any indication, the trial date will push Edison to come to the table,” said Michael Artinian, one of the attorneys representing fire victims. His co-counsel, Doug Boxer, was more direct: “We’re going to show the world what happened that day.”
Edison spokesman David Eisenhauer said the company “acknowledges the court’s decision and will adhere to the timeline to the extent we are able.”
The official cause of the Eaton Fire remains listed as “undetermined” by Cal Fire. But the Department of Justice, in a September 2025 lawsuit seeking more than $40 million in damages, alleged that Edison “negligently failed to properly maintain its power and transmission lines” in the area where the fire ignited. The lawsuit cited Edison’s own statement that it detected a “fault” on a transmission line around the time the blaze began.
Edison has not acknowledged responsibility. In court filings, the company has argued that investigations remain ongoing and that it is “too early” to enter mediation. But in a July 2025 filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission, Edison reported it was “not aware of evidence pointing to another possible source of ignition.”
For survivors, the legal maneuvering is backdrop to an immediate question: wait for litigation, or take the money now?
Mark Mariscal, 65, a retired Los Angeles city recreation and parks executive whose Altadena home was destroyed, said he is leaning toward Edison’s compensation program. Based on the company’s formulas, he estimates he and his wife would receive about $700,000. Litigation could yield more—but not for years.
“I don’t think we want to wait three, four, five years,” Mariscal said.
Under Edison’s program, homeowners whose residences were destroyed can receive $550 to $750 per square foot. Adults receive $115,000 for loss of their primary home; children receive $75,000. Those who settle directly with Edison, avoiding mediation or further litigation, can receive additional payments for pain and suffering.
The program runs through November 30, 2026.
Joy Chen, executive director of the Eaton Fire Survivors Network, has called on Edison to do more. “It’s Edison’s responsibility to solve all of this,” she said.
The stakes extend beyond individual survivors. UCLA economists estimated total property and capital losses from the Eaton and Palisades fires at $76 billion to $131 billion—making them the costliest wildfires in global history. If Edison is held solely liable, claims could deplete California’s $21 billion wildfire insurance fund. Lawmakers boosted the fund by $18 billion in September 2025, splitting the cost between utility shareholders and ratepayers.
Judge Seigle has set January 25, 2027 for the first bellwether trial—a test case that will gauge potential liability and damages for the thousands of claims that follow. Pre-trial filings are due January 4, 2027. Bellwether cases, covering wrongful death, personal injury, total home loss, and other categories, will be selected this spring. The court has directed that elderly and medically fragile plaintiffs be included so their cases can be heard promptly.
Joint inspections of the transmission towers removed from Eaton Canyon have shown “arcing damage that supports plaintiffs’ cause-and-origin theory,” according to the law firm Lieff Cabraser, which represents fire victims. “No contrary evidence has surfaced,” the firm said.
Last week, approximately 1,000 people gathered in the Grocery Outlet parking lot in Altadena to mark the one-year anniversary of the fire. Clergy members held photographs of the 19 victims. Attendees raised phone lights in a moment of silence.
“As we mark the anniversary of the devastating Eaton Fire, we pause to remember the lives lost, homes destroyed, and the resilience of our community,” said Veronica Jones, president of the Altadena Historical Society. “Let this anniversary serve as a reminder of the courage and strength of Altadena’s residents.”
The deadline passes tomorrow. The trials begin in a year. For the survivors, the wait continues.
Altadena Calendar of Events
For Pasadena Events, click here
