Altadena Now is published daily and will host archives of Timothy Rutt's Altadena blog and his later Altadena Point sites.
Altadena Now encourages solicitation of events information, news items, announcements, photographs and videos.
Please email to: Editor@Altadena-Now.com
- James Macpherson, Editor
- Candice Merrill, Events
- Megan Hole, Lifestyles
- David Alvarado, Advertising
Saturday, March 12, 2016
Change Your Clocks, Change Your Batteries
As residents prepare to change their clocks on Sunday, March 13, for daylight saving time, the Los Angeles County Fire Department reminds everyone to change the batteries in every smoke and carbon monoxide detector in their homes.
When properly installed, working smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors can mean the difference between life and death.
“A working smoke detector in your home greatly increases your chances of survival during a fire,” says Fire Captain Keith Mora. “The device can alert sleeping family members and provide them with critical seconds to escape.”
Carbon monoxide poisoning can be fatal; symptoms include severe headache, dizziness, mental confusion, nausea and fainting.
California law requires the installation of carbon monoxide detectors outside of each sleeping area in a home. For maximum protection against carbon monoxide gas, the Los Angeles County Fire Department also recommends installing a carbon monoxide detector inside each bedroom.
For more information, go to fire.lacounty.gov.