All tax returns, both federal and California, are filed electronically using IRS-provided tax preparation software. Tax returns are prepared by volunteer tax counselors who are trained and certified by IRS; all returns are subject to a quality review by a second certified counselor. After the tax return is prepared and reviewed, it is e-filed within 24 hours; copies of filed tax returns are provided to the taxpayer.
All tax counselors must adhere to IRS Volunteer Standards of Conduct as well as AARP’s Standards of Professionalism. This means taxpayers can be assured their tax information is >treated with strict confidentiality and security.
Taxpayers should bring with them:
- Last year’s tax returns
- Social Security Cards for you, your spouse (if filing a joint return), and all eligible dependents
- o Picture identification issued by a government agency
- Income related documents: SSA 1099, lO99R, W25, Unemployment Compensation
- statements, and other 1099 forms showing interest, dividends, and other income
- Expense related documents: forms snowing federal and state income taxes paid, 1098 forms, summaries for medical, dental, prescription drugs, charity, or business expenses, property and vehicle tax statements, property taxes and home mortgage interest paicl. Receipts for expenses need to be in reasonable order and legible
- Brokerage statements or other documentation showing the cost basis (purchase price) and date purchased for all securities or property sold or transferred during the tax year
- A check with your name on it, if you want direct deposit or debit for any refund or balance due
- If you receive a pension or annuity from a former employer, please bring the date you began receiving these payments.
You can find other AARP Foundation Tax-Aide locations at http://www.aaFD.orQ/aDDIicatíons/VMISLocator/searchTaxAideLocations.action